Monday, August 2, 2010

across this black and white chess board



Unfortunately I forgot my camera at home today. I hate when that happens. So I’ll just have to post my eats in a smaller, iPhone captured fashion. Here are the culprits:

Grapefruit. Egg Whites, Bagel, Tomatoes, Zucchini, Ezekial.

I also have to say that on my way to work the radio was filled with comments like, “I’m doing ok for a Monday”, “You have the Monday morning blues”, and “We’ll get you through the work week”. How unfortunate that some people are only looking forward to 2 days out of their week. I mean I’m the first to admit that weekends are divine, but I would hate to despise Monday through Friday! So in the spirit of being positive here is one awesome thing about each day of the week that has nothing to do with it being closer to, or actually a weekend day.

Monday – At a local restaurant called the Wild River Grille,  you can dine with your dog on their patio during the summer on Mondays. “WELCOME TO THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER JOIN US EVERY MONDAY! THIS SUMMER DINE ALFRESCO WHILE YOU AND YOUR TRUSTED COMPANION ENJOY OUR RIVERSIDE PATIO. $1 OF EVERY ENTREE PURCHASED ON MONDAYS WILL BE DONATED TO THE NORTHERN NEVADA HUMANE SOCIETY. BRING YOUR DOG AND RECEIVE A SPECIAL RIVER TREAT!”
I have no idea who this guy is, but apparently he thinks puppies are tasty. Weirdo.

Tuesday – Hooray! New movies and music come to existence! Plus Tuesday’s seem to have the best television on as well (Pretty Little Liars, The Biggest Loser, Glee, etc.)
Side note: Any show that can make singing in your PJs awesome is ok in my book. Success of this magnitude hasn't been achieved since Sandra D in Grease.

Wednesday – Date night with the bf.

Thursday – There is an awesome 5 hour Farmer’s Market in a nearby city, and the RN&R (Reno News & Review) comes out, filling me in on interesting things to do in the city.

Friday – My gym rest day (usually)…so I take the free time and do whatever I’s like. Sometimes it’s shopping, grabbing a drink with a friend, or just relaxing at home.

Saturday – There is another great Farmer’s Market this day. Its right next to an awesome bakery called House of Bread where I can be found sampling…often.

Sunday – I usually use this day to cook, bake, organize, etc. This brings me a lot of satisfaction.

I couldn’t stay up late enough last night to finish Hot Tub Time Machine, but the plan is to finish it tonight. I can’t decide if it’s horribly bad or horribly good. I do love me some John Cusack and 80s fashion though. The jury is still out.

Tonight the bf and I are planning to finish up so home improvement tasks. I am going to finish my chalkboard painted wall that I’ve neglected for the past month and he’s going to put up some baseboards in the office. Big things are happening, clearly.


I want to make this recipe from Eat, Live, Run. I want to make it now!

Blueberry Crisp

Serves about six

4 cups fresh blueberries
juice of one lemon
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 stick cold butter, cut into tiny pieces
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
Preheat the oven to 375 and spray a shallow pan (I used a 9 by 15″ pan) with cooking spray. Spread out the berries evenly along the bottom of the pan and sprinkle the lemon juice on top.
In a large bowl, combine all the rest of the ingredients and use your hands to work in the butter. In the end, you should have tiny pieces of butter throughout. You still want some chunks for optimal streusel.
Spread the streusel on top of the blueberries and bake for about 25 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment