Monday, July 19, 2010

Damage

I’ve realized something about myself. I’ve sort of always known this but really tried to avoid saying (writing) it. I eat too much and sometimes bad things when I’m stressed out or tired. I suppose this is emotional eating? Plus I find that I’ll eat things that I know won’t make me feel good. Then because I don’t feel good it’s hard for me to be physically active and then I feel bad for myself. WTF! I hope you are thinking that because I know I am. If I know better then why? Well let me back up for a minute. Last night I seriously was not even hungry after my entire loaf of bread for breakfast. I spent the day doing yard work and stressing about my mother being upset about me sitting in the sun at breakfast. I know this sounds weird and petty, but seriously this is the stuff that creates a downfall for me. So what did I do, I ate. I had some rice, then some more rice and a half a sandwich with turkey and avocado, then some strawberries with splenda, and then an un-pictured huge bowl of cinnamon toast crunch with Almond Milk.




I woke up this morning still not having gotten enough sleep. So I stopped for some coffee.
Had some overnight oat medley…1/2 c oats, ½ c almond milk, ½ fat free cottage cheese. Then I mixed in some strawberries this morning. It was delicious actually, and I was hungry then, but seriously exhausted.
I had an early snack: sandwich thin, avocado, and 1/3 c egg whites.
Lunch was a sandwich on my Great Harvest bread. 2 slices, 1 serving of turkey, artichoke hearts. Then I also had a large side salad with some Raspberry dressing from Trader Joe’s.




Followed by a nectarine.
Then I had a Fiber One bar for a snack, and no joke, a bag of Skittles (un-pictured). Why would I eat Skittles, I don’t even like Skittles. Truth be told, the sugar made me feel better for about 30 minutes but then I just felt like crap again.
I suppose this “damage” if you will is done. I don’t really see it as damage; I see it as a learning experience. I know what food makes me feel good and I know what food doesn’t. I need to trust myself to make myself feel better and not eat things that I know make me feel bad. So consequently I don’t want to go to the gym because I am exhausted! All I’ve wanted to do is go back to bed since I woke up. My body wants to relax. I may or may not head over to Whole Foods after work, because I’m feeling inspired to “clean” up my act. Regardless I will head home, no gym, relax, and then try and get some decent hours in tonight.
I also really want to try this recipe from Oh She Glows:
Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup regular oats
  • 10 baby carrots or 2 carrots
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil (or oil of your choice), melted
  • 1.5 tsp Arvinda’s Curry Masala (or other good quality curry powder)
  • 1/2 tsp Paprika
  • 1/4 tsp Tumeric
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp Parsley flakes (optional)
  • 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside. In a food processor, process the oats, carrots, and all the spices/seasonings (sea salt, black pepper, curry masala, paprika, tumeric, optional parsley) for 30 seconds or until somewhat smooth. Now add in the chickpeas at 1/2 cup increments and coconut oil (melted), stopping to scrape down the bowl as necessary. [My food processor was quite cantankerous during this process (it didn’t process the chickpeas well, but that may have been because I doubled the recipe and I had too much in my bowl!)]. Once the chickpeas are mostly processed and smooth, take the mixture and place in a medium sized bowl. Stir in the sunflower seeds and pepita seeds. Wet your hands and shape patties or balls. Makes about 6-8 patties depending on how big you want them. Note: You can also pre-bake these for about 20 minutes and them pop them on the BBQ to finish them off!

Ok I'm making dinner for the bf and myself tonight. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment